At around midnight the shelling began

A place to talk about anything to do with Rise of Flight

Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: At around midnight the shelling began

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon May 06, 2013 11:14 am

Now that the Drifter is well under-way, I'm already looking at this:

Or has another ship type higher priority?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Mugue » Mon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm

^Now that is one slick looking boat!^
"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time."
SYN_Mugue
Syndicate Exec

Postby Waxworks » Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 pm

You may have seen this slightly later type of CMB introduced after the vulnerability to seaplanes had been exposed: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/67382.html

"A twin Lewis gun-mounting sits on top of the cockpit. The need for this anti-aircraft defence had been demonstrated when a force of the earlier CMBs was annihilated by German seaplanes."

After the drifter, which will be very useful, there seems no especial priority. While destroyers at berth make good bomber targets there are plenty of bomber targets. Likewise while it is good to have a monitor bombarding the coast, a cruiser is also a big ship more or less invulnerable to aeroplanes. A fast vessel like the CMB which is vulnerable to MGs will be interesting, though they might be a challenge to put into MP missions, with there being no AI for them as such?

Were you going to make fast boats for both sides, or one boat for both? The Channel drifter is good for both, I'm not assure about the boats.
Waxworks

Postby SYN_Vander » Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 pm

The best you can do with CMB's in a mission is that if they reach an enemy ship within a (?) feet radius than (after a timer) the enemy ship will explode, to simulate a torpedo attack.
So it might still be fun to see if you can intercept them in time. Maybe also throw in a random timer so that you possibly need more than one CMB to destroy a ship.

It will be a while though, before I am finished with the Drifter. Another "issue" with the CMB is that they are tiny! The drifter is already a hard target because it's so small. A CMB is maybe the size of a steam engine?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 pm

SYN_Mugue wrote:^Now that is one slick looking boat!^

I agree, looks very 'modern'. Reminds me of the eightie torpedo boats from WWII...

Nothing wrong with it being "about the size of a steam locomotive", most of us don't have a problem hitting one of those. :grin:
And besides, if it bites back with AAMG, then a challenging target it shall be...

Good idea to simulate the torpedo attack, it just might work. So what if we don't see the splash and bubble trail, probably wouldn't see the bubble trail from the air anyways...
Can this simulated torpedo attack via proximity be accomplished for subs as well??? THAT would make things much more interesting for subs vs convoy protection...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 am

Sure, we can do the same thing with subs!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed May 08, 2013 7:49 am

Waxworks wrote:You may have seen this slightly later type of CMB introduced after the vulnerability to seaplanes had been exposed: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/67382.html

"A twin Lewis gun-mounting sits on top of the cockpit. The need for this anti-aircraft defence had been demonstrated when a force of the earlier CMBs was annihilated by German seaplanes."

After the drifter, which will be very useful, there seems no especial priority. While destroyers at berth make good bomber targets there are plenty of bomber targets. Likewise while it is good to have a monitor bombarding the coast, a cruiser is also a big ship more or less invulnerable to aeroplanes. A fast vessel like the CMB which is vulnerable to MGs will be interesting, though they might be a challenge to put into MP missions, with there being no AI for them as such?

Were you going to make fast boats for both sides, or one boat for both? The Channel drifter is good for both, I'm not assure about the boats.

I might do the CMB just for fun, since it's such a good looking ship!

How about a German minelayer? Were they ever attacked by Felixstowes?
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed May 08, 2013 10:45 am

SYN_Vander wrote:... How about a German minelayer? Were they ever attacked by Felixstowes?

If anyone knows I'm sure Waxworks does, but that's not the point, they certainly could have been attacked.

The minelayers operated at night in the Entente estuaries/port entrances, then scuttled back to safety as soon as possible, right? This opens up possibilities for night missions, navigation along the coast line, full moon reflecting off the Channel waves, etc. Very atmospheric.

Also, wouldn't there be a period of time around dawn when the minelayers might be caught out in the open near their home base? Pre-dawn take off and low(er) altitude rush to catch them before they are surrounded by defenses... All good and probable scenarios, regardless of whether it actually did happen or not. Just IMHO.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 am

If you haven't already, please check out this thread. Scroll down some on first page, because it begins with the usual FM and balance complaints, BUT then quickly becomes a thread about the pro's and con's of squadrons flying without TeamSpeak.

There does seem to be genuine interest here, could draw in more single players to multiplayer (which we desperately need!) and would be a VERY engaging twist to any event! Some really good ideas in that thread on how to pull it off...

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=37159

Thoughts on making our event sans TeamSpeak?
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Vander » Fri May 17, 2013 10:17 am

Waxworks has no doubt read this already, but for the rest of us: Very interesting info on the WW1 uboat war!

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29685/29 ... 9685-h.htm

Btw Waxworks, you have a pm!
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to Lobby